Why We Should Worry About OSRS's Future

Kasdieniniai plepalai įvairiomis temomis

Moderatorius: 666zveris

Why We Should Worry About OSRS's Future

Standartinė Amerzone » 2020.09.06 04:29

Two items right off the bat. This post will probably be long. My apologies, please try to bear with me. While this post is extremely critical of recent modifications to RS3 gold -- actual and proposed -- I wish to stress that I'm thankful for all of the hard work Jagex employees have set into RuneScape. I love efforts and your passion. However, the hard work of Jagex does not obviate certain issues I have for the future of RuneScape. As a community we must be worried about the slayer upgrade that is suggested. Not simply because of the upgrade itself, but what it means to development decisions.

I fear Jagex has lost sight of everything OSRS is; this is about from the company that gave EOC to us. Since the Reddit community is aware, there's been backlash against the proposed Slayer update. Criticisms have focused on a plethora of problems, but maybe the biggest is that applying the 15 percent damage/accurate bonus of this Slayer Helmet to a boss-only Slayer Master, could be exceptionally overpowered and could forcefully shift the entire PvM meta.

Rather than tackle this foundational issue -- that this update is too big, too meta-shifting, too much buff -- Jagex, at a tone-deaf reply, has concentrated on smaller"concessions" (more on this later). This update can't and should not be regarded as a collection of proposals that are discrete to be viewed in vacuum. I believe the disconnect between the OSRS community and Jagex exemplifies Jagex overlooking the big image.

Well, let us think foundationally: what's OSRS? OSRS is significantly more popular than RS3 as most know. There are a lot of reasons for this, but, most basically, it comes to nostalgia (for youth ); and also a string of exceptionally unpopular changes in RS3. The changes include, most notably EOC, an overall drive towards Microtransactions, EzScape, and DailyScape and free commerce removals, as well as wilderness. To put it differently, the success of OSRS can be viewed as a backlash against RS3: and, more especially, a backlash to the base game against too many modifications.

It's unsurprising, then, that in OSRS Jagex has polled lots of the alterations that are in-game that are significant. They want to avoid the pitfalls that resulted in RS3. Given the background of the failures of RS3, I write to remind we need CONSERVATIVE updates, which do not basically change RuneScape. Mind you, that doesn't mean"no new upgrades " New content is required to maintain RuneScape fresh and individuals coming back. At precisely the exact same time, people are tired of new content that lacks an old-school feel: content that is overpowered and. The Slayer that is projected update ventures.

Indeed, in its own blog post, Jagex describes only one part of the proposal as:"This sounds mad powerful, right? That is because it is." Developers have to be weary that they are presiding over a fanbase which is weary of changes. The Slayer proposal is a change. This seems lost on Jagex, that has been disheartening. I will not go with the slayer changes, as those have been covered by reasoned criticisms throughout this forum. However, I want to reiterate my issue is not with any one proposal in vacuum; it's about the nature of the shift itself.

The issue here is that this change is too meta-shifting and too powerful. It runs afoul of players favor OSRS over RS3 of the very principles. The Slayer Helmet is the offender. The PvM bossing meta is basically changed by the 15% damage/accuracy bonus. Sure, in certain instances, a player might still wish to farm a particular boss off-task, let's state for reasons. But outside of this? This slayer master provides an and leveling-method. For those concerned with"EZSCAPE," -- which remains among the greatest criticisms of all RS3 -- that is a poor offender.

The 15% damage/accuracy bonus does not only allow for greater kills each hour, it enables players to skip certain boss mechanisms, save on gear, and to perish less; the benefits are more than the usual 15% enthusiast to bossing, since they are multiplicative.

Just as the participant base enjoys Slayer, people do not want one skill to be revolved around by PvM. The issue with this update is this slayer master is SO OVERPOWERED it will put a good deal of folks into this uncomfortable,"fear of missing out" situation. In this way, it is meta-shifting. And there are very real concerns, articulated all-over this discussion, that relate to over-crowding and the in-game market. Given Jagex's curt dismissal of these concerns, I'm not convinced they've thought through the consequences of the meta-shift.

This may be the section, so let me start with a disclaimer. I believe Jagex are an incredibly gifted and passionate staff -- and that I am grateful for their efforts. HOWEVER, while passion is great in doses, it becomes problematic as it gives way. I think Jagex staff have been overly-defensive of these suggestions, that has resulted in a disconnect with the player-base concerning the management of RuneScape. All these are evident in the tone-deaf response of Jagex.

The first blog post. Not too many criticisms here, though, as mentioned, I found it odd that Jagex acknowledged how overpowered these suggestions were (including the since-scrapped proposal that the slayer boss use to raids), and yet still made the proposals anyhow. I get that Jagex is attempting to test-the-waters, but it seems fundamentally tone-deaf they would even try with these types of proposals. In addition, while I love Mod Arcane's enthusiasm and enthusiasm, the whole post came off as very presumptuous (e.g., this upgrade is happening, get excited individuals ).

And while it is fine to hear that bossing is Mod Arcane's"favorite thing to do," given the following replies by Jagex, it gives credence to the idea that Jagex is placing their personal prejudice prior to the wants of the participant base. Changes to RuneScape must NOT revolve about a particular moderator(s)' pet project. They ought to be thoughtfully attuned to what the gamers themselves desire. The response on Reddit was unequivocal: WE DON'T WANT THIS.

Responses to feedback. That is really where Jagex has screwed up. Jagex issued a response that completely ignored the core complaints regarding the slayer upgrade, after lecturing some of the more critical posters that their opinions would be considered in changes and to not stress. The problem here is overpowered and meta-shifting this proposal was. I read the upvoted articles on the Slayer Proposal. The Slayer Helmet was the criticism. Jagex simply ignored it, and it is an insult to our intelligence.

Great, you scrapped the idea that the slayer helmet should apply to Olm, which buy RuneScape gold was already an INSANE proposal that was doomed on birth (and that you even acknowledged from the Blog Post was controversial ). The other"concessions" have likewise concerned smaller problems which don't tackle the player base's core complaints. Jagex: you have a problem that is messaging and a disconnect problem. This makes the players nervous.
Amerzone
Naujokas

Grįžti į PLEPALAI